Get Your Glutathione
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that has gained a lot of popularity over the past few years for its multitude of health benefits. Why? It is essential to eliminating toxins, reducing inflammation in the body, maintaining youth and sustaining wellness.
What is Glutathione?
Glutathione is found in every type of cell, including cells in the immune system. It is a molecule that is made of three amino acids: cystine, glycine and glutamate. In addition to fighting harmful molecules called Free Radicals, glutathione has the added benefit of being a powerful antioxidant because glutathione exists in almost every cell of the body.
Benefits of Glutathione:
1. Powerful antioxidant – this alone makes glutathione one of the most important molecules in the body. It literally is present to protect every cell and we have on average 37 trillion cells!
2. Cancer prevention – both its strong antioxidant effects and ability to reduce inflammation glutathione is an important support for both preventing and treating cancer.
3. Protects the liver – glutathione is the most abundant in the liver and is critical for proper detoxification and liver protection.
4. Supports the nervous system – in addition to supporting everyday brain function, glutathione has been shown in studies to improve symptoms associated with Parkinson’s disease, MS and Autism spectrum disorders.
5. Treating skin conditions – glutathione’s powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects make it a key component to treating skin conditions such as rosacea, acne, melasma and psoriasis. It can also help treat unwanted skin pigmentation (skin lightening) by converting melanin (the pigment that gives skin, hair, and eyes colour) to a lighter colour and deactivating the enzyme that produces the pigment
Glutathione can be taken orally but must be taken in the form of acetyl glutathione. Alternatively, glutathione can be administered in higher doses with better absorption by IV drip. Anyone with digestive problems, high levels of inflammation or any inflammation based condition should have their glutathione administered by IV to ensure proper absorption and adequate levels of supplementation
The bottom line: Glutathione is the one nutrient that everyone needs and is indisputably the most important antioxidant in the body. Whether you are treating a preexisting health condition, looking to prevent disease or illness, or looking for something to slow the effects of aging on the body, glutathione is the answer!
Stay healthy and beautiful,
Dr. Heidi Rootes, ND
Owner, Surface Skin Lab